The stark beauty of the rugged landscape of a lava field in Hawaii Volcano National Park.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cancelled get together presents great opportunities


Aptly nicknamed 'Octopus tree' grows behind my studio bungalow.  The little ripe fruit are a beautiful pink, fuschia and dark fuschia in color.  Beautiful tree but an evasive one, so this tree will be cut down in the near future.

It rained on Saturday which provided numerous waterfalls in the valleys behind the property such as this beauty
As you can tell by the title, my little get together with my girlfriend for our combo birthday bash was cancelled and rescheduled for this Wednesday evening.
Since I had some time on my hands I decided to create another dress.  Currently in the re-love, recycle and creative mood I was in it for the challenge.  As you remember, in the last post I highlighted a colorful vintage hawaiian print on a black background that I made into a halter dress.  I was thinking (dangerous) that her favorite color is blue.  So I went rummaging through my stash with little luck in securing enough blue fabric.  Then reading an article in one of the Stampington publications I was inspired by a women who re-worked wool jackets and fashioned them into beautiful handbags and totes.  Voila!  Inspiration ensued.  I remember that I had a stash of unfinished tote bags partially sewn and lined in a dark blue kapa design hawaiian printed bark cloth from the 70's.  So, I just reversed the technique from the article.  Instead of making a handbag from a piece of clothing, I took a unfinished tote bag and incorporate it into part of a dress.
The 3 remnants
It was just wide enough for me to cut a halter (another halter, yes, I know) dress bodice using the handle part of the tote bag as top of the halter where the ties go through.  The tie was made of a small piece of blue striped remnant of a thin polyester fabric from another "age old" project, and the skirt and bodice lining was a give away fabric (at Christmas) that I received when I worked at a fashion house in the mid 90's.  I also made a matching fabric flower pin from the 3 fabrics to jazz it up a little.

Take a sneak peak at my "Vintage, Re-loved Blue Hawaiian Halter Dress"



You can see where I ripped out the lining of the tote bag at the top of the stash

The finished piece

Tea length

The halter bodice and pin

close up of fabric and bauble pin
 So, what do you think?  I was pondering the thought of letting her choose which one she wanted, but Mom said to give her both.  So, I think I'll give both of them to her.

Additionally, here are some things that have given me inspiration lately, whether it be color, texture or scent.  I see it's beauty.


fresh red and golden beets ready for the steamer.  They have a wonderful vibrant color.



After I steamed and peeled the beets, I cubed them and put them into separate containers.  I topped them over a bed of chopped romaine lettuce, corn, cubed tomatoes and cucumbers, finely chopped cilantro and a sprinkling of black beans.  I then made a salad dressing out of lite Ranch dressing and slowly mixing in balsamic vinegar to taste.  I prefer my dressing a little on the tart side, so I add a lot of the vinegar.  Add a slice of good baguette or a piece of roasted chicken or other sides that you prefer.  Yum!

flowers in a 2 baskets
I love flowers.  In Hawai'i flowers are everywhere.  It's a riot of color.  And scents.  They bloom, rain or shine.

pink fragrant plumerias outside my Mom's dining room window
Hawai'i is the most isolated spot on the planet.  We are (state of Hawai'i)  made up of island that are tiny dots in the middle of the pacific ocean separated in every direction by thousands of miles of ocean from everybody else.   Which brings us unique natural wonders and beauty that fosters endless creativity.

A favorite spot to relax and recharge, gather inspiration, soak in, smell the salty ocean air and  to thank God that I live in the most beautiful place on earth.


After Wednesday I'll post a update on my birthday get together with my friend.  Remember, It's a surprise (sorta) so keep it under wraps.  Although, I did ask her for her dress size recently, she'll still be surprised.  And I promise the next project will NOT be a halter dress.  I'll let you know, until then, happy inspirations and creative endeavors.

Aloha,
Lei 




No comments: